Playback of Live Event with JL Collins
On today’s episode, Brad and Jonathan recap the Live Event with our friend JL Collins, where he answered a whole slew of questions from the community. We’ve pulled out the key parts into 7 clips. Here is the first of the 7, with the other 6 further below of this page.
What You’ll Get Out Of Today’s Show
- Brad’s daughters’ passion for LEGO Friends Minifigures has helped them to understand inefficiencies in the market and sparked an interest in building their own business around buying and selling Minifigures. Their first listings failed but the girls were able to learn important lessons from that first attempt, making changes to their subsequent listings.
- Timing is important. Whether for LEGO Minifigures on eBay or a home listing, timing can affect momentum and the final price.
- Look for inefficiencies in the market and learn how to make a little money off it using resources like Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA).
- Tesla nearing the point where it will meet the criteria to be included in the S&P 500 Index. How do companies make it into this index? And do you know which companies are in your index funds?
- Not all index funds are the same. The S&P 500 owns 500 of the largest US companies while a total stock market index fund, like VTSAX or VTI, owns approximately 3,493 publicly traded US companies. The Dow and NASDAQ index funds track different sets of companies.
- Stock market indices are not stagnant and companies are continually moving in and out of each index. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) versus mutual funds?
- Jonathan has been using M1 Finance to purchase ETFs that mirror VTSAX, allowing him to purchase fractional shares and have all of his available money invested.
- The recent Facebook live event with JL Collins had more than 6,000 participants! He spoke about the impacts COVID-19 has had on the stock market. Watch the full 90-minute replay of the event or the seven video highlights.
- An audio version of Doug Nordman and Carol Pittner’s book, Raising Your Money-Savvy Family for Next Generation Financial Independence will include bonus content.
- Students from The Simple Startup Summer Camp are looking for your feedback! Help out with their market research by visiting Facebook.com/TheSimpleStartUp.
- Following up on recent controversy in the Facebook group, the name of the podcast is pronounced by stating the letters F and I, not combined into in one syllable as MK does.
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Conversation
- EZ Sniper
- Earn money teaching English online with VIPKid
- ChooseFI’s step-by-step guide for starting a blog
- ChooseFI Episode 139 Reaching FI with Real Estate with Sunny Burns
- M1 Finance
- The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins
- Watch the full replay of the Facebook live event with JL Collins!
The Rest of the JL Collins Videos
Video 2: Should I wait until I am fully FI in my 30s before buying a house and having a kid?
Video 3: What should I do with my investments during the pandemic recession?
Video 4: Which is better, Dollar Cost Averaging or Lumpsum investing?
Video 5: Should I be rebalancing my investment portfolio during the pandemic?
Video 6: What are some important things every new investor should know? Part 1.
- What is the difference between Vanguard’s VTSAX vs VTI, and which should I choose?
- How much cash should I hold?
- Should I invest in international stocks?
Video 7: What are some important things every new investor should know? Part 2.
- What is the right mix of bonds vs stocks?
- What is dividend investing, and should I be considering that?
- Should I be investing in Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITS) & precious metals?