What You’ll Get Out Of Today’s Show
- Take the skills you possess to create a course teaching something you love. Today’s guest, Jacques Hopkins, has generated $1.7 million in revenue creating courses on topics he is both knowledgeable and passionate about.
- Don’t believe you need to be a world-class expert to teach a topic you’re interested in. People are looking for people like themselves, who they can relate to, that are just a little more knowledgeable.
- After reading the 4-Hour Work Week, Jacques was inspired to build a simple and automated online business.
- After spending considerable time putting together a great course, Jacques discovered the key to attracting customers was in online marketing, but luck and building relationships with people have also been a huge part of his success.
- Over the first few years his course was online, Jacques grew the business. He wanted to have the free time to continue growing the business. While it hadn’t replaced his and his wife’s incomes, they were able to quit their jobs due to a high savings rate and paying off their mortgage.
- With a global audience, there is almost no limit to the number of people who could take his course. When the coronavirus pandemic hit, he was already well-positioned to take advantage of people’s desire to learn something new while stuck at home.
- For someone just starting, the first step is to create content for a blog, podcast, or YouTube channel and build an audience. Once a course has been developed, lead your audience to it with a sales funnel.
- Don’t record the course first. Come up with an outline considering how people will benefit from it, who the ideal student is, what their situation is, and what their transformation will look like.
- One of Jacques’s favorite ways to sell a course is with webinars where he can break down the barriers that prevent people from thinking they can do it.
- Without knowing how to market and sell your course online, it doesn’t matter how good it is. You have to learn the marketing side.
- Jacques’s online course brand is built around free content. He makes money through affiliate marketing.
- Create a win-win scenario by pre-selling the course and offering a full refund to those who finish it and provide testimonials. Having those testimonials is far more valuable than whatever money made from selling it.
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Conversation
- The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferris
- Switch and save money with Mint Mobile!
- Earn extra income teaching English online with VIPKid
- ChooseFI Episode 101 Finding Your Side Hustle Idea With Nick Loper