Cait Flanders, author of “The Year of Less”, talks about building $30k of consumer debt, challenging herself to go two years without shopping, and learning how to be comfortable in her own skin without the distractions of consumerism.
- When did Cait start blogging, and how did she start writing her book?
- How did Cait build $30k of debt?
- How did her Dad’s interest in money and finance influence Cait?
- Did the disorder and discontent in Cait’s finances manifest itself in other aspects of her life?
- How did Cait get started paying off her debt, and saving?
- What motivated Cait to move from a minimal savings rate, to a more effective and sustainable savings rate?
- What was Cait spending 90% of her salary on?
- Would Cait qualify her former self as a shopaholic?
- Did Cait get any negative responses from her immediate support circle?
- What were the rules of Cait’s “Shopping Ban”?
- The two hardest things in the first few months: no take-out coffee, no books.
- What filled up the time and space that had previously been filled with shopping?
- Cait decluttered during her two-year shopping ban: why?
- How many pieces of clothing does Cait use now?
- If you own something, do you have to own it forever?
- Did the shopping ban include anything besides physical items?
- What spurred Cait on to learn life skills that help her insource some of the tasks and activities that she had previously ignored, or paid for?
- How did changing spending and consuming habits impact Cait’s health?
- Advice would Cait give to someone who wants to live with less:
- Take inventory of the things you own the most of in your home.
- Tell the people in your daily life, and make sure there’s at least one person who will encourage you to make a good decision.
- Become more resourceful.
- Ask yourself if you really need to own something.
- If you’re unhappy about something, track it to see where you’re at.
Links to things mentioned in this episode:
The Year of Less, by Cait Flanders
Thank you for being a part of the ChooseFI community! If you want to support us, here are some easy ways:
1) Leave an iTunes review: http://www.choosefi.com/itunes
2) Use our page to sign up for travel credit cards
Note: We may receive a commission if you are approved for cards on this page
3) Most importantly, find your friends, coworkers, and family members who may be open to this message and tell them about the podcast! (Episode 21 is a great starting place)
As Jonathan would say, “The FIRE is spreading my friends!”