Listen to the full episode
There's a difference between saying that I personally am not discriminating against anyone, versus I am actively speaking out against situations where I see others discriminated against…. I'm not even saying it's easy. Cause I mean, there's been situations where I've seen things that I thought were wrong and you just don't feel the courage to do it. You don't feel strong enough.– Chris Browning
Where To Find Chris
- Website: Popcorn Finance
What You'll Get Out Of Today's Show
- Chris shares his personal perspective on growing up as a black man in America.
- He reflects on how systemic racism has made it harder for the black community to discover and pursue FI.
- He then shares several ways we in the FI community can help, including:
- doing the easier things like being inclusive of people from other races.
- doing the harder things that require more courage, like standing up and being anti-racist.
- amplifying the message of finance experts in the African-American community (see “Chris' list …” below).
- voting with your dollars (see “Resources Mentioned …” below) or your ballot.
Resources Mentioned In Today's Conversation
Chris' list of African-American Finance Experts
- Jamila Souffrant, Journey To Launch
- Rich Jones & Marcus Garrett, Paychecks & Balances
- Julien and Kiersten Saunders, Rich and Regular
- Patrice Washington
- Shyra and Marques Murrey, Black Married Debt Free
- Steven Hughes
- Nicole Walters
- Michael Lacey
- Tiffany Aliche, The Budgetnista
Other Strong Black Voices on ChooseFI:
- JAMILA SOUFFRANT | FAIL FORWARD | JOURNEY TO LAUNCH
- FROM 90K OF DEBT TO 6-FIGURE SIDE HUSTLE | WITH TIMIKA DOWNES
- NASEEMA FINANCIALLY INTENTIONAL | HOW I PAID OFF 1 MILLION IN DEBT
- FROM FINANCIAL INFIDELITY TO HIS & HER MONEY
- RICH AND REGULAR
- STRUGGLE | THE PSYCHOLOGY OF POVERTY WITH ANDRÉA MOTENKO
- MONEY LETTERS TO MY DAUGHTER WITH JACKIE CUMMINGS KOSKI
- OUR RICH JOURNEY WITH AMON AND CHRISTINA
- LEARN HUSTLE GROW
- A PURPLE LIFE | EARLY RETIREE CASE STUDY