In this episode: the phases of FI, your spending framework, dying with zero, changing your anchor points, and the value of time.
This podcast offers insight into what the path to FI can look like for listeners. While we usually speak broadly to our listeners who are all at different stages of FI, it’s essential to look back, as well as look forward to see how this journey has changed for us. This week we are joined by Carl Jensen and Doug Cunnington of Mile High FI to talk about the evolution of the FI movement from when we all began this journey, as well as reflect and discuss the trends and important takeaways of where we see the FI movement going. While finding your own balance is important in all parts of life, finding balance while on the FI journey is just as important! Learning to become intentional with your spending is also important. It can be extremely beneficial to your life to learn healthier ways to spend rather than deprive yourself of some of the most important items or experiences that bring you joy! So remember, whether you are at the beginning or well on your way toward reaching your FI goal, you will evolve with FI over time and application, just as FI will grow around you!
Mile High FI:
- 1:25 – Introduction
- 4:41 – The Phases of FI
- 11:18 – Building Your Life-Spending Framework
- 18:31 – What’s Worth Spending On
- 26:16 – Re-Evaluating Anchor Points
- 33:43 – The Value of Saving Time
- 42:22 – Dying With Zero
- 51:02 – Why Wait For Death To Help Your Loved Ones Fiscally?
- 56:32 – Buying A Concert
- 59:30 – Conclusion
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Episode:
- The Skill of Spending | Mr. Money Mustache | ChooseFI Ep 432
- The Tim Ferris Show Episode 661
- The Mad Fientist
- “Die With Zero: Getting All You Can from Your Money and Your Life” by Bill Perkins
- The Tail End
- “Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity” by Dr. Peter Attia
- Subscribe to The FI Weekly!
More Helpful Links and Resources:
- Earn $1,000 in cashback with ChooseFI’s 3-card credit card strategy
- Share FI by sending a friend ChooseFI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
- Keep learning or start a new side hustle with one of our educational courses
- Commission-Free Investing with M1 Finance