Experienced travel rewards optimizer and world traveler Marla Taner shares story of reaching financial independence, and her best tips for getting to Hawaii, Costa Rica and the Caribbean with minimal expenses, using credit cards points and air miles.
What you’ll get in this episode:
- How Brad and Jonathan come to know Marla
- What does it mean for Marla to be 3rd generation FI?
- What lessons did she learn from her parents and grandparents in regards to managing finances?
- How did Marla learn to budget as a teenager?
- How did Marla reach financial independence?
- Why is Marla committed to being fully retired in her 40s, without any side jobs?
- As an early retiree, with lots of time for self-reflection, what activities and aspirations has Marla come to embrace?
- How did the Vancouver Olympics jump start Marla’s habit of travel rewards?
- Airfare Tip: redeeming British Airways miles through Alaska or American Air allows you to travel to Hawaii from the West Coast for just 25,000 air miles.
- Most popular ways to get British Airways miles are through their credit card, or through Chase Sapphire and Amex credit cards.
- Hotel Tip: Sign up for hotel credit card to get free points or free nights.
- Hyatt Credit Card
- Sheraton / Starwood Hotel Credit Cards
- What is a “sweet spot” in regard to travel rewards?
- How does the flight booking process work with the British Airways travel rewards?
- Getting to Hawaii from elsewhere in the US: points through Korean Air, which is partnered with Delta.
- Points available from Korean Air credit card, Chase rewards, or Citibank rewards
- How would someone determine if they’re getting a good deal on travel rewards?
- Marriott and IHG cards have a yearly fee but offer anniversary points.
- What is Marla excited about in travel rewards this year?
- Southwest Companion Pass: earn 110,000 miles, then bring a companion for free
- Marriott Nights and Flights: redeem 200,000 or more Marriott points for Southwest Rapid Rewards, and a 7-night stay at any Marriott
- Vacation Tip: Stack your Southwest Companion Pass with Marriott Nights and Flights for a family vacation.
- Costa Rica Tips: Fly Southwest from Houston or Fort Lauderdale, redeem points for the Hyatt.
- Navigating between Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Reserve opens some nice travel options.
- Do travel rewards actually end up costing more money?
Top Travel Rewards Offers
Top Travel Card
Ready to unlock a world of free travel? Start with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Details: $95 annual fee | Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Most Flexible Travel Card
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card can be used to offset almost any travel expense.
Details: $95 annual fee | Enjoy a one-time bonus of 75,000 Miles once you spend $4,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
Best Card for Side Hustlers and Business Owners
Side hustlers! With the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
you can earn 100,000 bonus points.
Details: $95 annual fee | Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.