Today we discuss how Brandon Pearce went from a call center job to being a full time entrepreneur, traveling the world with his wife and children and how he started the Family Adventure Summit.
Podcast Episode Summary
- Episode 44 with Brandon Pearce, who was recommended to us by Andrew from the ChooseFI community
- Discussion of geo arbitrage, starting your own business and designing your future all wrapped up in one person
- Brandon realizing that you have no control over your future as a regular employee and it started him thinking about getting moving with his own business
- His software for organizing piano lessons was what led to his business
- How he got his first sale and realized this could be a successful business
- How Brandon considered making this a full-time venture and that inflection point where he took the leap
- Did Brandon contemplate not going full time with his software or was this a slam dunk decision?
- The value of hiring from inside your own community to find someone who is passionate and knowledgeable
- How Brandon wouldn’t be happier or more fulfilled with more ‘stuff’
- Was the plan for this to be a ‘lifestyle business’ originally?
- They replaced a focus on stuff with a focus on growth, travel and service
- Their six week “test trip” to Panama as a family
- Looking at life through your children’s eyes
- How difficult it was to replicate this experience in the United States
- Travel as one of the biggest catalysts for growth
- How liberating it was to not have any of their stuff on the trip to Panama
- Their first long-term trip was to Costa Rica and they were there for 1.5 years where their daughter was born
- How do you find a community when travelling abroad?
- Their current location in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico and how close the community is there
- Schooling types: Homeschooling, world schooling and un-schooling and an explanation
- They follow an interest-led learning approach with their children to inspire the love of learning
- What do you tell someone who is afraid to take the leap to family travel?
- Slow travel has the ability to be transformative and immersive
- Questions about safety and health care in foreign countries
- A discussion of health care in the countries Brandon has lived in and how inexpensive it is
- Brandon’s time tracking experiment
- The 1st annual Family Adventure Summit
- Documentary: Into the Wind about families travelling the world
- Hot Seat Questions
Listen to Brad and Jonathan’s thoughts about this episode here.
Links from the show:
- Pearce on Earth
- Brandon’s Software: Music Teacher’s Helper
- Family Adventure Summit
- Slim Timer
- Into the Wind documentary
- Playing with FIRE documentary
- Tim Ferris Podcast
- Sam Harris podcast ‘Waking Up’
- From Call Center Support to Entrepreneur & Full Time Travel (With Kids!)
- Mavic Pro Drone
Books Mentioned in the Show: