Tofu & Summer Vegetable CurryCourse: Recipe
I found this recipe in the September 2019 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Since we have recently discovered how much we love tofu, I tried this. It was fantastic!! I’ve made it twice in the past month.
Notes about this recipe:
• Instead of eggplant, I added extra zucchini.
• The curry paste I had was pretty spicy (made in Thailand), so I would cut back to¼ cup next time.
• We served this over rice.
• I didn’t make a side vegetable or anything with this since it is loaded with vegetables already.
4 TBS virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 14 oz package firm or extra-firm tofu, patted dry, cut into ½” cubes
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup red curry paste
3 large zucchini, cut into ½” pieces
8 oz green beans, trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces
1 13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
Lime wedges, cilantro leaves with tender stems, and coarsely chopped salted, roasted peanuts (for serving)
2 cups cooked rice
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium-high. Add tofu in a single layer and cook, turning over once, until cooked sides are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with kosher salt.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large pot or high-sided skillet over medium-high. Add onions and a generous pinch of salt and stir to coat. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in curry paste and cook, stirring often, until darkened in color, about 2 minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant, and green beans and cook, tossing to coat, until vegetables are softened and starting to brown in spots, 5–7 minutes. Pour in coconut milk and ½ cup water and bring to a simmer.
- Add tofu to pot and stir gently to combine. Cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season with more salt if needed.
- Divide curry among bowls and add a generous squeeze of lime juice to each. Top with cilantro and peanuts.
Total Cost of Meal
- Tofu= $1.80
Coconut milk & curry paste = $3
Onions, 3 large zucchini, green beans= $4
Cilantro, peanuts, rice= $1.20