In this episode: the continuum of FI, skilling up, chasing true value, the power of connection, and second generation FI.
This week we are rejoined by friend of the podcast Bo Loy to talk about finding value on the FI journey, drowning out the “noise,” and the importance of not depriving yourself of happiness in order to reach your FI goal. While the journey to FI requires you to make financial changes and pick up new habits that can launch you toward financial independence, the purpose of this journey is never to deprive or restrict yourself to reach your goal. No matter when you begin this journey, the goal in mind should be taking steps in order to improve your life both financially AND mentally—not sacrificing the things that bring value to it! There’s a lot to learn on the path to FI, but it’s important to remember that what you are working towards is more than just a number, it’s personal happiness, fulfillment, and more!
- 0:58 – Introduction
- 4:37 – The Continuum of FI
- 11:51 – Skilling Up
- 15:44 – Life Updates
- 25:59 – Chasing True Value
- 34:55 – Meeting Your Kids Where Their Interests Lie
- 41:17 – The Power of Connection
- 48:20 – Just Going For It
- 52:24 – Conclusion
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Episode:
- The Valuist | Bo Loy | ChooseFI Ep 396
- Talent Stacker
- Dean Turner Training on Twitter
- “Outlive: The Science and Art of Longevity” by Dr. Peter Attia
- The Peter Attia Drive Podcast
- “Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life” by Martin E.P. Seligman
- Subscribe to The FI Weekly!
More Helpful Links and Resources:
- Earn $1,000 in cashback with ChooseFI’s 3-card credit card strategy
- Share FI by sending a friend ChooseFI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
- Keep learning or start a new side hustle with one of our educational courses
- Commission-Free Investing with M1 Finance