What You'll Get Out Of Today's Show
- Much like the journey to financial independence, fitness also requires establishing a day to day process that relies on a longterm mindset and healthy habits.
- Set yourself up for success with an identity statement and preparation that makes it harder to break with the habits you want to keep.
- Don't set goals you know you can't keep. Set smaller goals and seek to improve little by little.
- It may take a couple of days or a couple of weeks to break the bad habits you've acquired over time, but when you lean in, your brain quickly adapts and stops tempting you.
- When Jonathan set the goal to lose 10% of his body weight, he focused on the triggers that drove him toward sugary foods. He identified that patterns and created rules for himself to remove the triggers.
- Like with FI, making small changes to be just 1% better leads to success. When Brad and Laura first implemented changes in their eating habits, they chose to cut down on portion size. It, and cutting carbs and sugar, has had the greatest impact.
- Brad and Laura's effort to eat healthier has optimized their health, time, and money.
- Jonathan has learned “your physique over the longterm is not determined by the quality of your workouts but the quality of the energy sources you supply to your body.” Choose to optimize how you fuel your body over optimizing your workouts.
- Intentionally cooking inexpensive, healthy meals at home, where the leftovers can be easily reheated or turned into a new meal, results in the intersection of convenience, health, and finances.
- Crushing your finances and crushing your fitness is the same skill set, making small changes and building on them.
- Brad's recommended first small step everyone can take is drinking black coffee. Cut out the cream and sugar. Jonathan advises cutting out soda. Skip the diet soda and go to water or seltzer water.
Resources Mentioned In Today's Conversation
- Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones by James Clear
- Financial 180
- Learn new skills that are in demand with Udacity
- Find a new job today with ZipRecruiter!
- The Laws of Lean–Week 3 of Jonathan's 30 Pound Weight Loss Transformation
- The Barrett Top 50 Cookbook
- Jonathan's 6 Month Health Challenge