In this week’s episode, Brad and Jonathan welcome Sean Mullaney back onto the podcast to discuss the four backstops of the Four Percent Rule!
While many in the FI community consider the Four Percent Rule to be a pillar for retirement planning, these relatively unknown backstops could save or enhance your retirement as you continue along the path less traveled! Listen along to see if any of these backstops could apply to you and your own future planning!
As always, the discussion is general and educational in nature and does not constitute tax, investment, legal, or financial advice with respect to any particular individual or taxpayer. Please consult your own advisors regarding your own unique situation.
- 0:59 – Introductions
- 1:37 – The Four Percent Rule and Inflation
- 12:20 – Annual Expenses
- 14:19 – Decline in Energy and Expenses
- 22:14 – Social Security
- 30:53 – Downsizing and The Reverse Mortgage
- 38:53 – Later Years Backstops
- 43:21 – Mortality
- 48:48 – Conclusion
Resources Mentioned In Today’s Conversation
- The Four Backstops to then Four Percent Rule
- Financial Resilience in a Bear Market | ChooseFI Episode 172
- Root of Good
- Early Retirement and Social Security
- Early Retirement Now
- Financial 180
- Subscribe to The FI Weekly!
If You Want To Support ChooseFI:
- Earn $1,000 in cashback with ChooseFI’s 3-card credit card strategy
- Share FI by sending a friend ChooseFI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
- Track your personal finances with Personal Capital
- Compare, buy, and save big on insurance with Policygenius
- Keep learning or start a new sidehustle with one of our educational courses
- Slash your cellphone bill without sacrificing service with Mint Mobile