Spicy Chicken-Tortilla Chip CasseroleCourse: Recipe
This is from Food Network magazine, a few years back but I don’t have the exact date. I thought it sounded like it would be just a bunch of chicken and tortilla chips, but it was super flavorful. It reminded me of a white chicken chili served on nachos, but instead it was all baked together. The recipe says it makes 6 servings. That is definitely possible, however, we will feeling a little hungry the night I made it, so it made us 5 servings.
Notes about the recipe:
• I followed the recipe exactly as it is written; no adjustments.
• You could definitely reduce the cost of this recipe by making your own chicken instead of using the Rotisserie chicken ($5) it calls for. Slow cook a pound of chicken breast ($2) in chicken broth & then shred or dice it up. I was a bit short on
time, so I used the Rotisserie chicken and it was delicious but it would be just as delicious if you made your own
2 TBS unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
1 bunch scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 TBS all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups salsa verde
3 cups cubed rotisserie chicken, skin removed
1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
1 8-ounce bag tortilla chips, coarsely crushed (about 4 cups)
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 400 degrees F. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, cumin, oregano and cayenne and stir until coated. Add the chicken broth and heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the salsa and remove from the heat. Stir in the chicken, white beans and 1 cup cilantro.
- Butter a 3-quart baking dish. Spread one-third of the crushed tortilla chips in the bottom. Top with half of the chicken mixture. Spread another layer of tortilla chips on top and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with the remaining chicken mixture, tortilla chips and cheese. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until lightly browned and bubbling, about 10 minutes. Top with more cilantro.
Total Cost of meal
- $5 3 cups rotisserie chicken
$1.50 Heavy cream
$1 Tortilla chips
$2 Salsa verde
$0.65 Garlic, flour, spices, chicken broth