Sheet Pan Chicken Meatballs & Charred BroccoliCourse: Recipe
This recipe is from the March 2019 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. We found this to be really tasty – a great flavor to the meatballs and they paired really well with the broccoli. When served with rice, you have a complete meal here and don’t need a separate veggie side since you already have broccoli. Image from Bon Appetit.
- For the sauce
2/3 cups ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 TBS rice cooking wine or water
4 TBS honey
1, 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
1/2 TSP freshly ground black pepper
- For the Meatballs & assembly
2 heads broccoli
2 TBS oil, divided
2 1/2 TSP salt, divided
Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 lb. ground chicken/turkey
1 large egg, beaten to blend
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely grated
1, 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 TBS sesame oil
1/4 TSP freshly ground black pepper
Cooked rice, for serving
- Sauce: Mix ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, wine (if using, or water), honey, soy sauce, ginger and pepper in a small saucepan. Measure out ¼ cup mixture into small bowl; set aside for glazing meatballs later. Bring remaining mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if needed, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to small bowl.
- Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Trim broccoli stems and remove from crown. Cut florets into 2” pieces. Toss on prepared baking sheet with 1 TBS oil, 1 tsp salt and a few pinches of red pepper flakes (if using). Push to the edges of baking sheet to create space for meatballs. Brush space with remaining 1 TBS oil.
- Mix chicken/turkey, egg, scallions, garlic, ginger, panko, sesame oil, pepper, remaining 1 ½ tsp salt and ¼ cup water in a medium bowl. Using wet hands, form into twelve 1 1/2 inch diameter meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet; brush with some of the reserved glazing mixture.
- Bake until meatballs are cooked through, 14-18 minutes. Remove from oven; heat broiler. Brush meatballs with remaining glazing mixture; broil until broccoli is charred and meatballs are browned in spots, about 2-5 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and broccoli over rice in bowl. Drizzle with sauce and enjoy!
Total Cost of meal
- Ground turkey = $3.50
Broccoli = $2.25
Rice = $0.75
Scallions, ginger, garlic = $0.75
Spices, egg, breadcrumbs = $0.75
Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, honey, soy sauce = $1
Total cost of 4 servings = $9