Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps With Ginger Garlic SauceCourse: Recipe
This recipe was inspired by the Pinch of Yum website/ food blog. It’s a great website with fantastic recipes. This makes about 4 ‘person meals’, or 2 nights of dinner for two of us.
Notes about the recipe:
• Start with soaking the rice noodles in water.
I pretty much follow the recipe as it is. I think letting the ground turkey sit in the sauce before you cook it is whatmakes it so flavorful.
• I do use the rice vinegar & cornstarch, as I think the vinegar adds a good flavor.
• I use about 1.5 lb of ground turkey, to ensure that it is enough for two dinners for us.
• I use iceberg lettuce because I think it holds up well as the ‘wrap’ and I just use whatever nuts I have around the house (peanuts, cashews, toasted walnuts).
• I have made this with and without the noodles. It’s a little heartier with the noodles, but you can use thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta instead of the rice noodles (a good way to save money).
• I have included $1.50 for small amounts of soy sauce, honey, chili paste, rice vinegar, etc. I always have these things in the house, so using a couple of tablespoons probably doesn’t even cost me a dollar. You may have to buy a couple ofthese things for the first time you make the dish, but after that, the cost is dramatically less per meal.
4 TBS soy sauce
3 TBS oyster sauce
3 TBS water
1 TBS chili paste
1 TBS honey
1 TBS fresh ginger or ginger paste
Juice of 2 limes
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions, minced
1 TBS rice vinegar (optional–makes it more tangy)
1 tsp cornstarch (optional–helps the sauce thicken)
- Main Dish
2 TBS tablespoons sesame oil
1 1/2 lbs ground chicken or turkey
1/2 cup lightly salted peanuts, chopped
6 oz rice noodles
12 leaves lettuce (romaine boston, or iceburg)
Fresh cilantro for topping
Green onions for topping
Peanuts lightly salted for topping
- Soak the rice noodles in a large bowl of water. While the noodles are softening make your Sauce/Marinade. When the noodles are softened, drain and rinse with cold water. Cut into small pieces.
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour about 3/4 of the sauce into a bowl with the ground chicken and peanuts. Stir to combine – marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the meat and peanut mixture and sauté for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Add the noodles and stir-fry for another 5 minutes or until soft, adding a splash of water, oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, or lime juice to moisten the pan as you see fit.
- Remove from heat, scoop mixture into lettuce leaves, top with cilantro, green onions, peanuts, and the reserved sauce.
Total Cost of Meal
- • $4 – 1.5 lb ground turkey
• $1 – Head of iceberg lettuce
• $1 – Small piece of ginger + scallions
• $0.30 – 6 oz pasta
• $1.50 – Small amounts of other things: honey, soy sauce, chili paste, lime juice