Creamy Chicken And Wild Rice SoupCourse: Recipe
This recipe is from the October 2017 issue of Cooking Light magazine. We love this recipe. This made us 6 ‘person meals’, or 3 nights of dinner for two of us (using as a main dish).
• I make my own chicken broth using bouillon cubes.
• I left out the thyme & mushrooms.
• I used about¼ of a package of Costco’s pre packaged Rotisserie chicken meat. They sell it in a 2.5 lb package of just the rotisserie chicken breast meat.
• I use spinach instead of kale.
• I used regular white rice instead of wild rice.
5 bacon slices, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 cup water
8 oz bag spinich
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken 1 breast (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 (8-oz.) package precooked wild rice (such as Simply Balanced)
1 cup half-and-half
all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add bacon to pan; cook 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add onion, carrot, and celery to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add thyme, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add stock and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add kale, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes. Stir in chicken and rice.
- Combine half-and-half and flour in bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir into soup; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Top with bacon.
Total Cost of Meal
- $3 Rotisserie chicken
$1 Bacon (about 1/3 lb)
$1 Half & Half
$2 8 oz bag spinach
$1.25 Onion, carrot, celery, broth, garlic
$0.25 Crusty bread for dipping