Chimichurri Beef and RiceCourse: Recipe
This recipe is from the food blog, www.cookingclassy.com. I didn’t make any adjustments; just followed the recipe exactly as it is.
We liked this recipe because the flavors were quite different than most of my regular rotation recipes. Usually, I leave out parsley when it’s in a recipe; however, the parsley and cilantro are a big part of the flavor in this recipe since that’s mostly what chimichurri is made from.
Also, I always make my own broth from bouillon cubes. The recipe says it makes 4 servings. I would say it makes 2 adult and 2 child servings or 3 adult servings.
1 TBS olive oil
1 cup chopped red or yellow onion
1 lb lean ground beef (85 – 90%)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 TBS lime juice, plus wedges for serving
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant white rice
- Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes.
- Crumble in beef and add bell pepper. Cook and let brown, tossing and breaking up occasionally, until cooked through, about 7 – 9 minutes, while adding in garlic during the last 2 minutes.
- Drain excess fat if needed. Stir in chicken broth, paprika, oregano, cumin and red pepper flakes and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Mix in rice, bring to a boil and let boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover skillet and let rest 8 minutes.
- Toss in parsley, cilantro and lime. Serve with lime wedges for spritzing.
Total Cost of Meal
- 1 lb ground beef= $2.50 (I buy the family pack and freeze in 1 lb portions)
Red pepper = $1
Onion, garlic, broth, spices, lime juice = $1.2
Instant rice= $1.50
Cilantro & parsley= $1.25
Total = $7.50