Captain DIY returns to recommend some accessible projects for the beginning DIYer, Jonathan highlights two recipe and meal organization apps, and several messages from the ChooseFI community.
- Brad made the best of Black Friday and his local community to pick up a ping pong table for his family.
- ChooseFI community member Olga recommends the Paprika app, which is helping Jonathan to plan his recipes, groceries and track his calorie consumption.
- Paprika app is 50% off until Nov. 30, 2018.
- Review of Monday’s episode with Captain DIY, who suggests that regardless of the changing job market, trade jobs are not going away.
- The type of learning that occurs in a college classroom may not be the answer for everyone – hands on learning and working appeals to many people.
- Connor is currently an apprentice electrician and will earn $22 an hour when he graduates with his electrical associates’ degree in a few months.
- The certification process takes about 4 – 5 years in total.
- If someone began studying and training right after high school, they’re set up for earning an above average salary before age 25.
- For some people, the side hustle can be the same thing you do for your W2 job.
- When starting a side hustle, Tinian recommends working with what you have: only take the jobs that use the tools and the skills you already have, and then choose to expand at your own pace.
- Build up a network of people who can use your services.
- Tinian is back to recommend DIY projects the average person can tackle on their own:
- Raised Garden Bed
- Compost Bin
- Bench or Adirondack chair
- Are people who build their own furniture happier with it?
- Electrical and plumbing projects should be attempted with extreme caution.
- Beginning projects inside:
- Painting a room
- Replacing doorknobs
- Refinishing a cabinet or cupboard
- Changing your own oil
- Thanks from Tasha to the FI community, for helping her along her FI path.
- The ChooseFI Educators group has completed the 3-5th grade curriculum – thanks to those who have contributed.
Links mentioned in this episode:
Plan to Eat (50% off until Dec. 2, 2018)
“Get Rich with Compost” – Aardvark Advisor
“Tools Every Homeowner Should Own” – DIY2FI
“50 Ways to Improve Your Finances By 1%” – ChooseFI.com