An update the community on recent activities, discussion about the opportunity cost of college and potential alternatives, a ChooseFI scholarship announcement, and a few voicemails from the ChooseFI community.
What you’ll hear in the show:
- Brad recaps his trip to the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting in Omaha, and a visit with the ChooseFI local group in Omaha.
- Jonathan shares how he recently cut his grocery costs by nearly $700.
- Use up the foods that are stockpiled in the pantry
- Shop at Aldi’s; it’s nearly impossible to spend more than $100 in a trip
- Repeated meals requires purchasing less meals
- How is Jonathan’s Skinny Waist Fat Wallet challenge going?
- Review of Monday’s episode with Ryan Carson at TeamTreehouse.
- Is college the obvious choice, or are there other good options for young adults preparing to enter the workforce?
- What does Brad recommend that people consider while making this decision?
- John, from the ChooseFi community, suggests that some companies still look for college degrees, as opposed to a coding certificate. How can someone manage that?
- How does Treehouse support students by helping them find jobs at the completion of their degree?
- ChooseFI wants to sponsor someone to go through the Treehouse program. Brad and Jonathan will set up a scholarship application on the website.
- Neil, from the ChooseFi community, suggests that students looking for internships should be both persistent and creative when contacting a company you might want to internships with: not all internships are advertised position.
- Todd shares some life hacks for $300 expenses per month:
- Eliminate costs of mortgage or rent
- Use free transportation to save on gas expenses
- Find ways to decrease or eliminate grocery bills
- Internet is free at the library
- Voicemail from Kevin in Sydney, Australia: The podcast makes him feel good about self-improvement, and requests more info about property investment from ChooseFi.
- The power of pursuing financial independence is the lifestyle changes that it allows.
*Update | on May 15th after the release of this episode we became an affiliate for the Treehouse Code School
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Thank you for being a part of the ChooseFI community! ? If you want to support us, here are some easy ways:
1) Leave an iTunes review: http://www.choosefi.com/itunes
2) Use our page to sign up for travel credit cards
Note: We may receive a commission if you are approved for cards on this page
3) Most importantly, find your friends, coworkers, and family members who may be open to this message and tell them about the podcast! (Episode 21 is a great starting place)
As Jonathan would say, “The FIRE is spreading my friends!”