In today’s podcast we discuss our takeaways from Episode 35 with Big Ern from Early Retirement Now, plus paying off mortgages and student loans early and frugal wins of the week from the community.
In Today’s Podcast we cover:
- The Friday Roundup after Episode 35 with Big Ern from Early Retirement Now
- This episode was long awaited, but was necessary to wait for until we provided the background of FI for the audience
- Ern’s information made us both feel more hopeful for the future of FI and sequence of returns risk
- Both ‘savers’ and ‘early retirees’ can’t both simultaneously win with the sequence of returns risk
- Savings rate is the most important part of living a FI lifestyle and succeeding with long-term savings
- The concern with sequence of returns risk is only when you see a prolonged and significant drop in the markets. To the tune of 5+ years and 20%+ drop
- Question from the audience to Big Ern about inflation being included in the safe withdrawal rate and Ern’s response
- Ern does indeed take inflation into account when he performs his calculations
- How does preserving your capital factor into “success” when looking at your FI plan? How does inflation factor into it?
- Your personal look at what constitutes success – it always depends on “facts on the ground” for your personal situation
- Should you pay off your mortgage early? How sequence of return risk factors into this decision
- The math suggests you should always invest the money and not pay off your mortgage early
- However, there is a great psychological allure to paying off your mortgage
- What would have happened if Jonathan had invested his money in VTSAX instead of paying off his student loans?
- Dollar cost averaging versus lump sum investing
- Input from Danny from our Facebook group on flexibility and early retirement
- The value of mentally rehearsing what would happen in a downturn to avoid selling at the bottom
- How are people taking action in our ChooseFI Facebook community this week to improve their lives in one simple way
- Travel Rewards voicemail from Andrew about his successful trip to Argentina
- How to win with travel rewards: flexibility with your dates of travel, plus planning far enough in advance, being ready to pull the trigger when you find availability and then looking at all your options when booking with UR points
- Frugal win of the week from Ashley: 300,000 miles on her Toyota in 18 years!
- The value of finding a trustworthy mechanic
- ChooseFI meetups are popping up across the country
- Itunes reviews of the week
Links from the show: