This content may contain affiliate links through which we are compensated when you click on or are approved for offers from our partners. See our disclosures for more info.
In today's podcast we discuss Part 2 of our Travel Rewards series including what to do after you've focused on Chase credit cards plus whether you should focus on one trip or a general strategy.
In Today’s Podcast we cover:
- Part 2 of the travel rewards podcast series on where to go when you’re done with the Chase credit card options
- Does it make sense to go after cards for a particular trip like Walt Disney World or should you focus on Chase cards while you are under the “5/24 rule?”
- Brad and his wife Laura are both trying to get back under 5/24 and waiting to open up cards
- If you are doing this with a spouse you can realistically open 10 Chase credit cards (5 each)
- What cards would you get from other banks such as American Express, Citibank, Barclaycard and Capital One?
- American Express has a one bonus per card per lifetime rule
- Amex has a transferable points program called Membership Rewards that is a quality program (similar to Chase Ultimate Rewards)
- The transfer partners we like from Chase
- Why we like “fixed value” cards such as Arrival Plus and Venture
- To branch out beyond Chase cards or not?
- If you’re a member of the FI community it would be hard to ignore the Chase cards to focus on a specific trip like Disney
- For people not aware of travel rewards, a “quick win” like booking the Disney Dolphin hotel is a great way to get huge value from your points
- Buying Disney tickets from Disney does not count as “travel” for credit cards, so you need to use Undercover Tourist (or aRes Travel for Disneyland)
- Orlando International Airport is a huge hub for Southwest, which is our favorite airline rewards program
- Southwest does not limit award ticket availability – it is just based on cash price
- You have a lot of flexibility with Southwest Airlines miles
- Flexibility will help you succeed with travel rewards
Links from the show:
- Richmond Savers step-by-step guide to Disney World
- Disney Dolphin hotel
- Undercover Tourist Disney World tickets
- aResTravel Disneyland Tickets